Chrome OS is a light-weighted Operating System with play store support. Windows 10/11 got many features but having a lot of applications and features makes the PC slow Chrome OS on other hand being light-weighted has amazing performance and needs less computing power and therefore consumes less battery. With the play store support, Chrome OS users can download android as well as Linux apps on their laptops/PCs. So in this article, I will show you how you can install Chrome OS on your PC from scratch.
How To Install Chrome OS on your PC?
Before we begin the guide let us first see the requirements.
- UEFI support in the motherboard.
- Legacy BIOS support has also been added, but there are a few limitations. You can read the documentation here.
- Support for AMD CPU and GPU has been added, but currently, it supports AMD Ryzen 3XXX and AMD Stoney Ridge processors.
- Intel-based CPU and GPU.
- You will need a USB flash drive with at least 16 GB of storage.
Once your requirements are met, you can move forward and download some relevant files.
Download the following files:
- Navigate to this link to download the Official Chrome OS recovery image.
- Open the website. Now, download the specific recovery image based on your processors.
- If you are using 4th or newer generation Intel processors then search for “rammus” and download the latest recovery image.
- If you are using 3rd generation Intel processors then download the latest “samus” recovery image.
- Download the “Zork” recovery image if you are using AMD Rizen.
- Likewise, download the “grunt” recovery image if you are using AMD Stoney Ridge.
We have now downloaded all the necessary files. Now we can begin the installation.
Download Chrome OS on PC with Play Store Support
Before we go ahead I would briefly like to discuss the things we will be doing going ahead. First off we will make a bootable USB drive containing all the necessary files. Then we will boot Linux Mint Cinnamon on our Windows PC. Finally, we will install the scripts to download the required dependencies and libraries to run Chrome OS on our PC.
Creating Bootable USB Drive:
Managing all the necessary files
Booting into Linux Mint Cinnamon:
Install Chrome OS on your PC
What if Chrome OS is installed on the wrong Device?
If Chrome OS is by mistake installed on your USB Stick. The reason behind this is because the hard disk is named .sda generally, but on some older PCs, it is named mcblk0 or something else,
due to this your Chrome OS gets installed on the wrong device. Let’s see how to solve this issue:
Chrome OS New Features
Now you have downloaded Chrome OS so let us discuss some of its new features. It has been a decade now since the Chrome OS was first released and as the days pass by the Chrome OS is adding more and more applications and features which is making Chrome OS much easier and exciting to use. I use it and recently the development teams of Chrome OS have added new features.
I hope you will enjoy the new OS you installed on your PC. Comment below if you are facing any issues related to installation or your new OS.