- Windows 11 is integrated with a lot of features and amongst all of them speech recognition and voice typing is one of the best. Voice typing is undeniably accurate and can come handy few times. looks like Microsoft has done a ton of improvements in its online speech services.
- Voice typing was actually designed for those who are suffering from disabilities and have difficulties using keyboard and mouse.
- I would further like to say that you will need an uninterrupted internet connection in order to use this feature. We will now see how to enable and use this feature.
How to Use Windows 11’s Built-in Voice Typing Tool
Voice typing tool is a system-wide utility program and runs on every applications including Google Chrome, Notepad, WordPad, MS Word, or an Office app. If you see a text area, just summon the voice typing toolbar and say the words you would like to see in your screen and there you go, it appears on your screen. That said, keep in mind, you will need an active internet connection for voice typing to work.
1. The easiest way to enable voice typing is using a Windows 11 keyboard shortcut. Press “Windows key + H” simultaneously to open the voice typing prompt immediately.
2. Next, click on the “mic” button and start speaking. Using the online Microsoft Speech Services, your dictation will be converted from speech to text in no time. I was surprised to see that Windows 11’s voice typing experience was usable and accurate.
3. The best part about voice typing in Windows 11 is that it comes with support for “Auto punctuation“, and again, it works really well. By the way, it’s not enabled by default. You need to click on the “Settings” icon and turn on the “Auto punctuation” toggle.
4. If your dictation is not recognized properly, you can navigate to “Settings -> Time and Language -> Speech”. Here, select the appropriate “Speech Language” from the drop-down menu based on your region or accent.
Enable Voice Typing Launcher
You can also enable Voice Typing Launcher to summon voice typing prompt whenever you click on text area. No matter which app or window you are in, simply click on the “mic” button and start voice typing instantly.
To enable this feature, click on the “Settings” icon in the voice typing overlay. Then, turn on the “Voice typing launcher” toggle.
By the way, you can increase the accuracy of the speech recognition and train your computer to recognize your own voice to get seamless and best experiences.
Speech recognition is a feature that lets you do that & in fact it lets you control your PC using your voice commands, & launch applications . If you want to use this feature, I have written an article on how to enable speech recognition in your PC.
If you are facing any issues in the above steps in Windows 11 , comment us below. It will be a pleasure to help you.