- Windows Security is an anti-virus software that comes integrated with Windows 11, with assurance to defend the system against viruses or malware attacks. However, there has been occurrences where the users reported that their files and documents are deleted by Windows Security, without any evidence of threat on those files, What is the reason behind Windows Security deleting these files?
- At times Windows Security recognize certain programs or applications as a potential threat and doesn’t allow those applications or programs to install on your system, even if it might not be the case.
- If you are facing this issue then we are here to help to help you with that. Before we move further I would recommend using a better antivirus in order to completely get rid of this problems. Never compromise your security and privacy. However, if you want to go ahead with Windows Security then continue reading for the solutions.
These are some ways to stop Windows Defender from deleting files.
1. Add Exclusion to protect your files
Add Exclusion is a feature that lets you keep all your important files and documents safe. So If Windows Defender unknowingly tries to deletes files without your permission or information, you can add files to exclusion and retain your files-
1. Use the Windows + I keys to open Settings.
2. Click here Security
3. Click here Threat protection
4. Manage Settings
5. Exclusions Click here Add or Remove Exclusion
6. Click here that says Add an exemption.
7. File, Folder, and File Type Or Process
2. Restore Quarantined Items
Do not panic if Windows Defender has deleted files from your computer. These steps will allow you to restore quarantined threats. These steps are very similar to those mentioned above.
1. Follow these steps 1-4 as mentioned above.
2. In Virus & Threat Protection click on Protection History under Current Threats.
3. You will be able to find all your removed files under Threats Quarantined.
4. Now you should be able to restore them.
Here’s what to do if you are unable or unwilling to locate the quarantined items.
1. Click on Virus & Threat Protection click on Protection History under Current Threats.
2. All your deleted files will be listed below—quarantined threats.
3. You should now be able to restore they are.
How to temporarily disable Windows Defender Antivirus for Windows 11?
Disabling Windows Defender temporarily can do a thing. It will give you time to take your important files to somewhere else safe. Follow the steps to disable Windows Defender:
1. Open Windows Start Menu
2. Type Windows Security.
3. Press Enter. Use the keyboard.
4. Click here Virus & threat protection click the action bar to the left.
5. Scroll down Virus & threat protection settings link here manage settings.
6. Click the toggle button below real-time protection temporarily disable Windows Defender Antivirus
7. Click Yes If prompted, confirm the change. You can turn it on whenever you feel free.
(ii) Through Registry
Be Careful, this is the critical process and a small alteration in steps can cause you problems including system and application problems in your PC. Follow the steps below to disable Windows Defender using Registry Editor.
1. Press the Enter key to open the Run dialog box “windows + R” keys.
2. Type Regedit Press Enter.
3. Click yes When the Control of the user account prompt appears.
4. Navigate to the following path when the Registry Editor window is opened
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE> > SOFTWARE> > Policies > Microsoft > Windows Defender
5. Right-click Microsoft Defender Click on New.
6. DWORD (32 bit) Value.
7. Change the name Disable Antivirus Enter.
8. Double-click on the file to enter the Value data 1 Press OK.
9. Restart your computer.
Notice: Windows Defender would be permanently disabled if it were disabled using Registry Editor.
Other Ways to keep System from deleting files
3. Using Storage Sense
Storage sense is feature that removes all the files that aren’t used for months automatically, when storage space is running low. It deletes all the files that has been residing in the Recycle bin for a fare amount of time now. It also deletes temporary files, and files in the download folder, if those files aren’t used for fare amount of time.
But if you don’t want Storage sense to delete files and folders on its own, & want to manage files and folders with your own hands. Then, let me show you how to disable Storage Sense:
1. Open Settings.
2. Navigate to System. Then, go to Storage.
3. You can now toggle off the Storage Sense.